World Hepatitis Day – Hepatitis Can’t Wait!
World Hepatitis Day (WHD) takes places every year on 28 July bringing the world together under a single theme to raise awareness of the global burden of viral hepatitis and to influence real change.
The 2021 theme this year is ‘Hepatitis Can’t Wait’ – and we at SANPUD along with partners will be hosting a virtual event for World Hepatitis Day 2021, which aims to increase knowledge and drive forward efforts to eliminate viral hepatitis as a public health threat in South Africa.
With a person dying every 30 seconds from a hepatitis related illness – even in the current COVID-19 crisis – we can’t wait to act on viral hepatitis.
- People living with viral hepatitis unaware can’t wait for testing
- People living with hepatitis can’t wait for life saving treatments
- Expectant mothers can’t wait for hepatitis screening and treatment
- Newborn babies can’t wait for birth dose vaccination
- People affected by hepatitis can’t wait to end stigma and discrimination
- Community organisations can’t wait for greater investment
- Decision makers can’t wait and must act now to make hepatitis elimination a reality through political will and funding.
Our online event will be an opportunity to raise awareness of viral hepatitis and harm reduction among people who use drugs and to:
- Highlight the viral hepatitis burden and need for action in South Africa
- Provide information and training on hepatitis B and C virus to a range of stakeholders.
- Combine efforts to advance elimination of viral hepatitis as a public health threat
- Connect and strengthen networks with peers and decision makers
We’re proud that a representative of our Regional Network, Koketso Mokubane, will be actively involved on the day presenting a segment on Viral Hepatitis, and leading a breakaway group discussion, as part of the World Hepatitis Day webinar series.